ACOS Resources for Students
Osteopathic medical students are encouraged to get involved with the activities of the ACOS Medical Student Section (ACOS-MSS), through membership, scholarly activities, advocacy, leadership development, professional development and networking opportunities. Realize your potential as a member of the ACOS-MSS.
Resources for Osteopathic Medical Students
JOIN ACOS-MSS – The ACOS is the primary advocate and home to more than 3,200 surgeons and physicians in training and more than 2400 students in colleges of osteopathic medicine throughout the United States. MSS is the official student section of the ACOS. Our organization welcomes you.
Member physicians of the ACOS primarily train and practice in the specialties of Cardiothoracic/Vascular, General, Neurological, Plastic and Reconstructive, and Urological Surgery, with over 100 surgical residency training programs under our purview.
- ACOS Online Community – The ACOS online community is filled with resources. Students can apply for membership, register for conferences, apply for scholarships and participate in discussion forums with students from over 30 colleges of osteopathic medicine.
- Scholarships –Outstanding students can apply for a variety of scholarships in the areas of education and travel ($250) and community service ($250).
- Mentorship Program– The “Mentor Match” program is a mentoring resource for students to receive guidance from a mentor throughout the year. Students who participate in the “ACOS-MSS Speed Mentoring” event, held during the Fall ACOS-MSS convention, connect with ACOS surgical program directors and directors of medical education through a quick and fun speed mentoring session. Through these mentoring programs, students are able to expand their network and learn from the very best in our osteopathic surgical community.
- Professional Development – ACOS-MSS holds two conferences each year, a Spring and Fall Conference. The Spring conference is generally held at a college of osteopathic medicine and the Fall conference is held in conjunction with the ACOS’s Fall convention (ACA). Attendees of ACOS-MSS’s Fall conference can also attend ACOS educational programs in the specialties of cardiothoracic and general vascular, general, neurological, plastic and reconstructive, proctological, and urological surgery.
- Scientific Poster Presentations – Students are invited to present outstanding scientific research as a poster during the ACOS Fall conference (ACA) and receive awards of up to $500!
- Advocacy - Students are encouraged to get involved in ACOS advocacy efforts. Students have access to legislative and regulatory updates that outline the College’s positions and advocacy activities we are engaged in. We encourage you to join the movement.
Special Interest Sections
Join one of our special interest sections designed for members to meet, network and discuss issues of common interest:
- Women Surgeons Section – a forum and reception held during the ACOS Fall conference (ACA) for women surgeons to meet, socialize and discuss topics of interest.
- Military Members Section – a meeting held during the ACOS Fall conference (ACA) to discuss issues and provide guidance to members in uniform.
- Rural Surgeons Section – a meeting held during the ACOS Fall conference (ACA) for physicians, who practice in rural settings, to network and share ideas on how to successfully manage their surgical practices.