ACOS Online Community Rules, Etiquette and Disclaimers
Thank you for your participation in the American College of Osteopathic Surgeons (ACOS) online community. We would like to ensure the best possible experience for all members. Basic guidelines have been established so this can be achieved. Your participation on any ACOS online site is contingent on your consent to the rules below.
ACOS online services are intended for engagement and discussion. The information contained on these sites only represents the personal views and opinions of the submitting authors, but do not represent the opinions, policies, or endorsement of ACOS.
Any material downloaded or otherwise obtained through the use of the site is done at the participant’s own discretion and risk and the participant will be solely responsible for any damage to his/her computer system or loss of data that results from the download of such material and/or data.
Additionally, see the various disclaimers below.
There are a variety of options offered by ACOS where members can identify opportunities for information and engagement. Here are some examples:
For all opportunities provided by ACOS, please visit our website at www.facos.org
RULES AND ETIQUETTE
- Don’t attack others or engage in unprofessional or bullying conduct online. Posts and discussions are meant to stimulate conversation, not create contention.
- Use caution when discussing services, educational content, or products. Information posted on any platform is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- With respect to the antitrust laws, messages shall not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement which either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another’s business, or other conduct which is intended to illegally restrict free trade.Content that encourages or facilitates an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices/fees, third party payor reimbursement amounts, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; supply costs, or other cost data; allocation of customers, markets, or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal content is strictly prohibited and will be removed.
- Do not post any educational content without reference nor any materials that are protected by copyright without written permission of the copyright owner.
- Send your message to the most appropriate platforms.
- ACOS has the right to reproduce postings, so do not post anything you would not want the world to see. Any content or information posted/shared on an ACOS platform grants ACOS the nonexclusive worldwide, transferable right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material in any way and in any medium, including but not limited to print or electronic form.
- Please note carefully all items listed in the disclaimers below.
- Do not upload files that contain viruses, corrupted files, or any other software, programs, or material that may damage the operation of another’s computer.
- Do not reveal personal health information of any person or any other information that would violate privacy laws, including but not limited to HIPAA or FERPA.
- Do not use this site to solicit or conduct business, including the direct or indirect marketing of products or services, and do not provide information, materials, products, or services in exchange for compensation of any kind.
- Be clear about who you are (including using your real name) and who you are representing in your online postings, including all financial or other material relationships you may have with regard to the maker or provider of products and services you may review or discuss in ACOS online communities, as well as any other conflicts of interest you may have.
The information provided by the American College of Osteopathic Surgeons (“we,” “us,” or “our”) on our mobile applications/website/social media posts is for general informational purposes only. The information is not meant to serve as a guideline for patient management. Any procedures, medications, or other courses of diagnosis or treatment discussed or suggested should not be used by clinicians without evaluation of their patient’s conditions and possible contraindications and/or dangers in use, review of applicable manufacturer’s product information, and comparison with recommendations of other authorities. All the information within our online services is provided “AS IS,” and we make no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, regarding the accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability, or completeness of any information on our online services. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHALL WE HAVE ANY LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY LOSS, DAMAGE OR ADVERSITY OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF THE USE OF OUR ONLINE SERVICES OR RELIANCE ON ANY INFORMATION PROVIDED UTILIZING THESE SERVICES. YOUR USE OF OUR ONLINE SERVICES AND YOUR RELIANCE ON ANY INFORMATION ON OUR ONLINE PLATFORMS IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
EXTERNAL LINKS DISCLAIMER
ACOS online services may contain (or you may be sent through our online services) links to other websites or content belonging to or originating from third parties or links to websites and features in banners or other advertising. Such external links are not investigated, monitored, or checked for accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability, or completeness by ACOS. WE DO NOT WARRANT, ENDORSE, GUARANTEE, OR ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILTY OF ANY INFORMATION OFFERED BY THIRD PARTY WEBSITES LINKED THROUGH THE SITE OR ANY WEBSITE OR FEATURED LINK IN ANY BANNER OR OTHER ADVERTISING. WE WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO OR IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR MONITORING ANY TRANSACTION BETWEEN YOU AND THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS OF PRODUCTS, EDUCATION, OR SERVICES.
The ACOS online services are intended for engagement and discussion. The information provided is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical or legal advice or consultation with healthcare or legal professionals. The site cannot and does not contain medical/health or legal advice.
Accordingly, before taking any action based upon such information, we encourage you to consult with the appropriate professionals. THE USE OR RELIANCE OF ANY INFORMATION CONTAINED ON OUR ONLINE PLATFORMS IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
An educational activity may contain discussion of agents that are not approved for use by the FDA and/or investigation uses of agents that are approved by the FDA. The authors of the educational activities do not recommend the use of any agent outside its labeled indications.
The ACOS online sites may contain testimonials by users of our educational content and services or users attending our events. These testimonials reflect real-life experiences and opinions of such users. However, the experiences are personal to those users, and may not necessarily be representative of all users of our products, content, and/or services.
The testimonials on these sites are submitted in various forms such as text, email, audio and/or video, and are not necessarily reviewed by ACOS before being posted. They appear on the site verbatim as given by the users, except for, if identified prior to posting, the correction of grammar or typing errors. Some testimonials may have been shortened for the sake of brevity where the full testimonial contained extraneous information not relevant to the general public.
The views and opinions contained in the testimonials belong solely to the individual user and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the ACOS. Users providing testimonials are not paid or otherwise compensated for their testimonials.
Each user of any ACOS online platform hereby agrees to indemnify and hold harmless ACOS, its officers, directors, employees, agents, successors and assigns from and against any and all third party liability, actions, demands, losses, damages, (including, without limitation, direct, indirect, actual, general, incidental, special, lost profits, or consequential), injuries, costs, expenses (including attorney fees and court costs), or claims of any and every kind whatsoever, paid, incurred, or suffered by, or asserted against, ACOS, its officers, directors, employees, agents, successors, and assigns, arising out of, or associated in any manner with the user’s violation of any term of these rules.
REPORTING VIOLATIONS OF THESE RULES; TERMINATION OF USE
ACOS does not actively monitor its online sites for violations of these rules. Should any user desire to report inappropriate content or violations of these rules by any use on any ACOS site, please contact Dr. Valerie Sheridan, CEO ([email protected]).
ACOS, for any reason (including a user’s violation of any provision of the above rules), may immediately and without notice suspend or terminate a user’s ability to access and use any ACOS online sites.
Last updated November 7, 2023